Friday, December 11, 2009

Festive cardboard town

Lately I have been slightly obsessed with old European towns, well at least my version of the old European town, case in point - couple of small children fishing on the lake surrounded by a small red-roofed town.




So when my husband showed me some cardboard dividers I immediately new what I can make from them - cardboard town.

Here is how the cardboard dividers look. They are used as a packaging material for mailing and storing small fragile objects. Several of them can be assembled together using long cutouts on the bottom to form a 3D grid. But once disassembled they are ideally suited to make buildings, or even whole blocks of buildings.
Just cut out some windows and fold. I also used some acrylic paints, pencils and ink pen to give my town some additional color.

Here is the final result.


Some detail shots.





As you can see I also added cardboard trees to cover up some awkward spaces between the buildings.



Finally, I added lights behind my little town and voila - little town all decked out for the holidays
right on my fireplace mantle.



2 comments:

Jamie said...

Brillant AND beautiful!!! It's such a lovely display:) Love, Jamie

julia said...

thank you, Jamie. I am glad you liked it